━ GET INTO HOSPITALITY ━
London has one of the highest unemployment rates in the UK. Yet demand for staff in the food industry is extremely high and is likely to increase after Brexit. Food Academy tackles this by encouraging those without employment to get into a career in the hospitality industry.
Our ‘Get into Hospitality’ courses, run jointly with the School of Wok and the SW4 Restaurant of Lambeth College, give participants all the tools they need to start a career in the food industry – from practical cooking classes, to work experience in a professional kitchen, to assistance in finding employment or training opportunities. As well as gaining practical skills in catering, participants will gain transferable skills such as time management, teamwork, budgeting and communication.
6 WEEK COURSE
– An overview of Food Hygiene and Safety
– 4 week of practical cooking classes covering the basics in professional cookery such as: Knife skills, Baking, Vegetables, Sauces & soups, Poultry & meat, Fish & shellfish, Cold & hot desserts, Baked products, Menu planning and costings, Final assessment based in each participant designing and Cooking a three course restaurant-standard meal
– An overview of the impact of food in everyday life from healthy eating to seasonality to sustainability to cooking on a budget.
– 2 weeks of work experience at one of our partner restaurants, hotel or catering companies
– A workshop in CV writing including
– Individual action plans and signposting;
– Accreditation on completion